We need your help!
Many of you will remember the major undertaking of the Community Foundation back in 2008-2009 when our island was hit so hard by the economic downturn of those couple years. At that time, we convened a multitude of organizations and individuals to determine what the most critical needs were that could be addressed by a cross-community united effort, helping to shore up those areas of greatest need during such a difficult time.
Now it’s five years down the road, and we feel it’s time to reassess community needs and determine if new courses of action should be developed for addressing them. The 2015 Community Needs Task Force will provide a forum for discussion of community needs, increase awareness of current and future projects, and facilitate collaboration among organizations.
We invite nonprofits, business leaders, agencies, and the community as a whole to attend a one-hour kick-off stakeholder meeting on March 30, 2015, 11:00 am at the San Juan Community Theatre. Following a short introductory presentation, you will be able to meet the chairs of each workgroup in the areas of social services, our environment, education (secondary through college), early childhood education (birth to grade 6), our food supply, housing, community service, emergency preparedness — and sign up to get involved.
You can get more information on the Community Needs Task Force by contacting Michel Vekved at 360-298-8268 or email@example.com – or you can just show up on Friday, March 30, 11:00 am!
Remember – we need you. The fabric of our community becomes stronger when we weave solutions together.
Wow!! What a year for the Community Foundation’s Women’s Fund! This group of over 95 women in our community pool their resources and in 2014 through active grant making, have supported the following community programs with grants totaling $25,000:
- Musical instrument repair and purchase for Band Families and Friends
- Safety and communications equipment for the Madrona Institute Conservation Corps
- Stair Lift for limited mobility visitors for the Whale Museum
- Training & community programs for the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services
- Critical safety project for the Friday Harbor Elementary School
- Facility weatherization and repairs for the Family Resource Center
- Outfitting Brickworks
- An English language learning & children’s enrichment program at the San Juan Island Library
- A critical training drill for Islands Oil Spill Association on the West Side of San Juan Island
- Emergency prescription and rental assistance for the Family Resource Center
- Comprehensive training for Hospice of San Juan
- “Every 15 Minutes” Program – DUI accident re-enactment for high school students with the EMT Association
- Science outreach program for the Friday Harbor Labs
- Dream Builders program by Washington Vocational Services benefiting special needs students at Friday Harbor Middle School
The Women’s Fund is structured as a pooled donor advised fund of the Foundation with a minimum donation of $100. Members have the opportunity to broadly review grant applications that cover all areas of community need and vote to recommend funding.
To learn more, call the Foundation office at (360) 378-1001 or visit the Women’s Fund website – sjiwomensfund.org.
The Community Foundation was gratified by the amazing generosity of islanders last week at the 2014 San Juan County Fair when over $31,000 was donated to eight different projects featured in the matching program. This amount was raised in just the four days of the Fair!
The Foundation, in turn, Read More
The Community Foundation is pleased to announce its award of scholarships for the 2014/2015 academic year to former and present San Juan Island high school students. Awards totaled $152,000 and were made to continuing college students, high school students graduating this year, and individuals pursuing career training. Read More