Wow!! What a year for the Community Foundation’s Women’s Fund! This group of over 95 women in our community pool their resources and in 2014 through active grant making, have supported the following community programs with grants totaling $25,000:
- Musical instrument repair and purchase for Band Families and Friends
- Safety and communications equipment for the Madrona Institute Conservation Corps
- Stair Lift for limited mobility visitors for the Whale Museum
- Training & community programs for the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services
- Critical safety project for the Friday Harbor Elementary School
- Facility weatherization and repairs for the Family Resource Center
- Outfitting Brickworks
- An English language learning & children’s enrichment program at the San Juan Island Library
- A critical training drill for Islands Oil Spill Association on the West Side of San Juan Island
- Emergency prescription and rental assistance for the Family Resource Center
- Comprehensive training for Hospice of San Juan
- “Every 15 Minutes” Program – DUI accident re-enactment for high school students with the EMT Association
- Science outreach program for the Friday Harbor Labs
- Dream Builders program by Washington Vocational Services benefiting special needs students at Friday Harbor Middle School
The Women’s Fund is structured as a pooled donor advised fund of the Foundation with a minimum donation of $100. Members have the opportunity to broadly review grant applications that cover all areas of community need and vote to recommend funding.
To learn more, call the Foundation office at (360) 378-1001 or visit the Women’s Fund website – sjiwomensfund.org.
The Community Foundation was gratified by the amazing generosity of islanders last week at the 2014 San Juan County Fair when over $31,000 was donated to eight different projects featured in the matching program. This amount was raised in just the four days of the Fair!
The Foundation, in turn, Read More
The Community Foundation is pleased to announce its award of scholarships for the 2014/2015 academic year to former and present San Juan Island high school students. Awards totaled $152,000 and were made to continuing college students, high school students graduating this year, and individuals pursuing career training. Read More