$155,000 Scholarships Awarded to Friday Harbor students for 2013/’1408 Jun 2013, written by adminSJICF
The San Juan Island Community Foundation is pleased to announce the distribution of scholarship awards totaling over $155,000 for the 2013/2014 academic year to former and present San Juan Island students. Awards were made to both continuing college students, high school students graduating this year, and individuals pursuing career training.
The Inskeep Scholarship Fund was established by a generous donation made by the late Jerry Inskeep who deeply appreciated the helping hand that he received enabling him to attend college. Jerry wanted to ‘pay his gift forward’ to the youth of our community. He left a legacy through the San Juan Island Community Foundation that will provide a permanent source of funds for the education of our island’s children. Awards are based upon exceptional need and demonstrating excellent promise to succeed.
The following students were previous recipients of an Inskeep Scholarship and have been awarded another scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Barnard, Parks – Seattle University
- Brand, Clara – Western Washington University
- Brast, Amanda – Oregon State University
- Eisenhauer, Diana – University of Washington
- Freeman, Alexandra – The Colorado College
- Guard, Elle – Baylor University
- Hagn, Julie – St. Olaf College
- MacDonald, Jennifer – University of Victoria
- McAllister, Willa – Seattle University
- Neff-Baro, Shanti – Pomona College
- Olshefsky, Audrey – Mass. Institute of Technology
- Sandstrom, Rainah – Western Washington University
- Smith, Connar – California Poly State University
- Starr, Hannah – Northwest University
- Waite, Hannah – Oregon State University
- Wynn, Malcolm – Washington State University
The following students graduated on June 8, 2013, from Friday Harbor High School and have been selected to receive Inskeep Scholarship awards:
- Brown, Ashleigh – Central Washington University
- Gislason, Lita – Western Washington University
- Guard, Gavin – Whitman College
- McMain, Emma – Pacific University
- McPadden, Miranda – Washington State University
- Paul, Brett – Gonzaga University
- Truesdale, Sierra – Western Washington University
- Waite, Samuel – Oregon State University
The SJICF Career Scholarship Fund was established through generous donations to the San Juan Island Community Foundation to provide San Juan Island residents scholarships for career training.
Career Scholarships were awarded to:
- Foss, Deven – Skagit Valley College – Medical Assistant
- Jimenez, Ciara – Whatcom Community College – Nurse Practitioner
- LeBaron, Marshall – NW Career & Technical Academy – Marine Technology
- Lopez, Amelia – Skagit Valley College – Medical Assistant
The SJICF General Scholarship Fund is a new scholarship fund established through generous donations to the San Juan Island Community Foundation to provide San Juan Island residents scholarships to attend accredited two-year or community colleges.
General Scholarships were awarded to:
- Dunaway, Amy – Whatcom Community College – Associates Degree
The John Volk Memorial Scholarship remembers one of our finest citizens who served us all through his tireless volunteer service, both on the ground and in the air.
The John Volk Memorial Scholarship was awarded to: (A program of the San Juan Pilots Association)
- Julian Perren – Oregon State University
There is no better way to ensure the quality and health of our community and our nation than by helping our youth attain the educational aspirations. You may join this effort by contacting the San Juan Island Community Foundation at PO Box 1352, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. The office is located in the Technology Center, Mullis St. Friday Harbor; Phone 378-1001.